After a searing summer time in 2018, UK gross sales of simple water slipped again in 2019, however had been forward of effects for 2017, in keeping with the brand new 2020 UK Plain Water Report from the foods and drinks professionals Zenith Global.
Volumes except for water coolers and dispensers dipped 3.1% to a few,500 million litres in 2019, whilst worth fell a extra modest 2.5% to £2.7 billion.
“Healthy hydration has become firmly established as a driver for UK consumer behaviour over the past 20 years,” commented Zenith Global Chairman Richard Hall. “A sizzling summer time all the time boosts gross sales, however on a regular basis hydration is without a doubt gaining impetus.
“Plastic concerns, however, have dented growth recently and consumers now have more refill options as well as dispense machines available. The industry has been energetic in lightweighing bottles, increasing recycling and using recycled content, but it may be some years before plastic has fully answered the sustainability call.”
Among different findings of the brand new Zenith Global file:
- The moderate grocery store worth of simple water is 31 pence according to litre, decreasing to 23 pence according to litre for store personal labels.
- The moderate UK shopper buys one litre of simple water each and every week, 52.5 litres according to yr.
- 45% of the inhabitants are shoppers.
- Spring water has risen to a 40% quantity proportion, simply at the back of herbal mineral water on 41%.
- Still water accounts for 85% of quantity and glowing water 15%.
- The most sensible 5 manufacturers via quantity are Highland Spring, Evian, Nestlé Pure Life, Buxton and Volvic.
- Retailer personal labels have grown to a 43% quantity proportion.
- PET accounts for 97% of quantity, with 11% having greater than 50% recycled content material.
- Imports represented 15% of 2019 volumes.
“The coronavirus outbreak has made hydration even more important and boosted stockpiling sales in March, but the absence of hotel, restaurant, pub and travel sales during the lockdown will subdue the market in 2020. Over time, the market will surely recover its growth momentum,” concluded Mr Hall.
The UK Plain Water Report 2020 examines the essential components shaping the marketplace, together with manufacturing, imports and exports, main corporations and types, packaging dynamics and distribution from 2014 with forecasts to 2024.