World Packaging Organisation (WPO) and World Design Organization (WDO) have launched into a joint initiative following the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) closing yr.
This initiative will paintings in alignment with the United Nations Sustainable Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production, to handle across the world related subjects, together with meals waste and protection, sustainable packaging, circularity and schooling to assist spur significant exchange at each the person and business stage.
“The WPO is thrilled to be involved in this first ever joint venture with WDO,” said WPO president, Pierre Pienaar. “Design, and even more so sustainable design, is such a key element to the future development of packaging that at this critical time, we must ensure the impact on our global natural resources and our environment is minimally affected. We therefore enthusiastically approach this opportunity and anticipate innovative outcomes to the benefit of multiple communities and generations.”
“Since its inception in 2020, WDO’s World Design Challenge concept has empowered hundreds of designers who all volunteer their expertise to examine issues and validate ideas towards quick and tangible resolutions on a number of significant social problems. “What our international design community can accomplish remotely within this two-week period without ever even meeting in-person is nothing short of amazing,” said WDO president, Srini Srinivasan. “Under the guidance of subject matter experts, we collectively map out the problem, generate ideas, make quick decisions and develop tangible prototypes that are then ready to be tested prior to implementation.”
The World Design Challenge on Sustainable Packaging objectives to deliver in combination execs and researchers within the fields of sustainability and packaging design throughout other industries. Seven world groups will probably be appointed to broaden inventive answers that perfect cope with the next seven key problem statements:
• How are we able to design sustainable packaging answers for e-commerce?
• How are we able to redesign packaging that reduces shopper meals waste?
• How are we able to broaden sustainable answers to meals carrier supply programs to cut back packaging waste particularly with on-line meals ordering and supply platforms comparable to Uber Eats, in addition to meal package suppliers comparable to Hello Fresh?
• How can we design sustainable packaging for wholesome and on-the-go life?
• How are we able to beef up packaging sustainability in communities the place no assortment techniques are in position?
• How are we able to broaden packaging this is kid evidence however simple to open for the aged and the ones with bodily vulnerabilities?
• How are we able to exchange/have interaction shopper behaviour to assist build up sustainable behavior comparable to recycling, reusing, upcycling, composting and decreasing meals waste?
“Packaging is an indispensable part of everyday life, which is why its design is so important. Designers can play a critical role not only in furthering the development of innovative, sustainable packaging, but also in fostering important conversations around the value and impact that packaging has on society,” said WDO resident, Srini Srinivasan. “We are looking forward to this collaboration with WPO and hope to leverage this opportunity to rethink standards around packaging.”
Expected results of this initiative come with shareable design-led answers that may be prolonged to each packaging industries and different sectors, in an effort to inspire waste prevention, have interaction and train shoppers and foster extra sustainable trade fashions.