Mondelēz International, has published its 2019 Snacking Made Right Report, highlighting the company’s progress towards achieving its 2025 sustainable and mindful snacking goals. The report outlines Mondelēz International’s ongoing commitment to lead the future of snacking by leveraging its global scale to deliver positive change.
The Snacking Made Right report includes Mondelēz International’s signature programmes and approaches driven by the company’s purpose – to empower people to snack right by providing the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way. As the world continues to manage the global COVID-19 pandemic, the company believes that purpose is more important than ever before and is committed to advancing its efforts in order to confront the new challenges facing the world.
“As we collectively manage the global impact of COVID-19, now more than ever is the time for companies to do what’s right and drive sustainable business growth at scale,” said Dirk Van de Put, chairman and chief executive of Mondelēz International.
“At Mondelez International our purpose-driven approach to sustainability and well-being is focused on reducing our impact on the environment and creating a positive impact on society as part of our mission to lead the future of snacking by delivering the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way. I’m proud of the significant progress we’ve made in 2019 and believe our 2025 Snacking Made Right goals are the right goals to focus on for the future,” said Van de Put.
With snacking a growing behavior globally, Mondelēz International is living its purpose of empowering people to snack right by using its scale to create meaningful, lasting change for the better. In 2019, the company made meaningful progress towards creating resilient and sustainable ingredient supply chains, reducing environmental impact and packaging innovation:
- Sustainable ingredient supplies
- 63% cocoa volume for chocolate brands sourced through the company’s signature sustainable sourcing program Cocoa Life (up 20 pts vs 2018)
- 65% wheat for biscuit brands in Europe sustainably sourced through the company’s Harmony Wheat program
- Maintained 100% RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil Goal) palm oil goal
- Environmental Impact
- 15% reduction in CO2 emissions across manufacturing operations
- 27% reduction in priority water usage in areas where water is most scarce
- 21% reduction in waste from manufacturing operations
- Packaging Innovation
- 93% of total packaging (both plastic and non-plastic) designed to be recyclable
In addition, in 2019, Mondelēz International made strong progress in well-being to both align the company’s portfolio to contemporary well-being needs as well as encouraging mindful snacking habits through portion control and labelling:
- 16% of global snacks net revenue from portion control snacks
- Global standardization of front-of-pack portion amount labelling
Released this month, the company’s Snacking Made Right report confirmed progress against ambitious long-term goals including:
- Continuing to scale signature sustainable sourcing programs
- Scaling Cocoa Life to source 100% cocoa volume for chocolate by 2025
- Scaling Harmony Wheat to source 100% wheat for biscuits in Europe by 2022
- Maintaining 100% RSPO coverage in palm oil
- Scaling child labor monitoring and remediation systems to cover 100% Cocoa Life communities in West Africa by 2025
- Meaningfully addressing climate change and reducing environmental impact
- Setting science-based targets to reduce end-to-end CO2 emissions by 10% by 2025, with a focus on protecting and restoring forests
- Advancing packaging innovation and tackling plastic waste
- 100% of packaging designed to be recyclable and labelled with recycling information by 2025
- Continued support for multi-stakeholder collaboration to tackle plastic waste
- Aligning portfolio to contemporary well-being needs and encouraging mindful snacking habits
- 20% of net revenue from snacks from portion control snacks by 2025
- 100% Snack Mindfully labelling across packaging globally by 2025
“We know consumers are increasingly aware of the impact their choices have on the world and what the companies behind those products stand for,” said Christine Montenegro McGrath, vice president and chief of impact, sustainability and well-being at Mondelēz International. “We believe in making our snacks the right way, which means to both create a future in which people and planet thrive and to stand up for what we believe in. Today’s release of our Snacking Made Right report is an important step forward as we continue to demonstrate our progress on that journey.”